As parents, we have learned about the many negative effects that watching too much television can have on our children. The important question is - what we can do about it? According to the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP), parents must be actively involved. The key word is “active”.
Here are some of the ways that the organization recommends for parents to become active by:
• Viewing programs with your children
• Selecting developmentally appropriate shows
• Placing limits on the amount of television viewing (per day and per week)
• Turning off the TV during family meals and study time
• Turning off shows you don't feel are appropriate for your child
AACAP also recommends that parents select specific shows for their children to watch rather than just allow their children to sit in front of the tv for hours and watch random shows.
There are many things that we can do as parents. Let’s make a commitment to be more active this summer to ensure that our children are healthier and happier.
If you would like more information, visit AACAP by clicking here.
Author Soraya Diase Coffelt