"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." Albert Einstein
Growing up, I loved reading fairy tales from countries all over the world. Some were funny, others were serious. They all had a moral or specific lesson to teach. As an adult, I still love to read them. They are much more than short stories about people who get into all sorts of predicaments. Their teaching value is immeasurable.
In an internet article entitled “7 Reasons Why Fairy Tales are the Best Books for Kids”, the author describes the many benefits that children can reap from reading these tales:
1. They teach that no situation is hopeless.
2. They teach that hard work and practice are the foundations for success.
3. They teach children to be willing to explore and be open to new things.
4. They teach self-reliance.
5. They teach children to be careful about whom they trust. This is especially appropriate in today’s society.
6. They teach critical thinking.
7. They teach right from wrong.
There are many websites that provide readers with dozens of stories from around the world, such as fairytalesoftheworld.com and storynory.com. Spend some time searching for the ones that you believe would be best for your children and enjoy reading them together. Create special moments laughing and discussing the lesson in each tale.
The entire article on the benefits of reading fairy tales can be found by clicking here.