We have all seen them – a child standing on a stage, before a room full of people, being given words to spell. Each child patiently attempts to speak clearly into the microphone to spell the word. Many of those words are very difficult to pronounce, much less spell. We think – what a smart and brave child to be standing up there in front of all those people, trying so hard to accurately spell. What I would also encourage you to think about are the many benefits to having your child participate in a spelling bee. Here are just a few:
1. It helps to enhance your children’s vocabulary, as they learn more words and become accurate spellers.
2. It helps children learn better grammar as they not only learn the meaning of new words but also learn to use them properly in sentences.
3. It helps children to develop poise and confidence. Being able to stand in front of a group of people, think on your feet, and handle pressure are important skills that take time to develop.
4. Since it’s a competition, competitive skills are being developed as well. Friendships are being built and competition brings excitement.
5. For those children who do not win, it gives them the opportunity to figure out what they could have done better as well as how to lose gracefully.
If your child wants to participate in a spelling bee, it is very important that he gets the support he needs both at school and at home. It takes discipline, diligence and hard work. And, the rewards are tremendous!